Saturday, February 7, 2009

Sunshine in the Dark Months

It was warm here two days of the last week.  It's February and warm days are rare, let alone sunny ones!  This may have something to do with global warming but at this point, I'm just grateful.  It's not hard to notice the way people respond to the sun here.  Many of the ones who wander into the Library have sun burns, not healthy maybe, but hard to avoid on a sunny day in the snow at this altitude.

Everyone's moods seem to have lightened up a little.  I can certainly feel it myself.  It's Mother Nature's way of reminding you of the promise of spring.  It makes it easier to hold on to sanity while stuck inside during the wind, cold and snow.  Usually this kind of weather that we call Chinook, comes a little later.  This has been a hard year though for all of us and I think the early warmth was especially needed.

Today while I spend time loading wood I'll get to feel the kiss of warmth on my cheeks, breath in air that isn't chilled and listen to the tree loads of birds singing in the next snow storm.  That short time of sunshine will mean a lot by the end of the day.

No comments: