Monday, September 1, 2008

SUMMER'S ALMOST GONE






I haven't posted here for much of August.  I guess I was too busy enjoying the short summer season of the high country.  My garden is going great but I fear many things will be taken inside before they ripen.  The cool nights have already come and most mornings I need to build a small fire to take the edge off.  

We've had a lot of moisture this summer and things have grown well although slowly.  The heat only lasted four weeks up here unlike the record breaking run in the Metro area. 

The three minature cucumbers are the largest grown from seed I've ever had up here.  I'll see how big they get before freezing but I may end up digging them out and bringing them indoors with the tomatoes, strawberry plants, patty pan squash and eggplants.  My house will once again go back to smelling like a green house!  I have no problems with that only meloncholy for the end of summer.

It is supposed to get cooler today, like down to the 50s.  I haven't been able to carry anything due to a fall and I'm behind on wood gathering, painting and winterizing in general.  I need to go fill the hummingbird feeders.  They are power feeding, getting ready for their next long trip away from cold and snow.  I'll hate to see them go but today, I'm enjoying every last second of summer I can. 

1 comment:

Mama Bear said...

i'm sending you some florida sunshine to tuck away for a day you really miss it or the natural warmth. enjoy your last bit of summer days...

your veggies look good. i'm craving a tomato pie. do you ever make them? ate italian last night at a place called "nick's tomato pie". go figure....