Sunday, September 7, 2008

TODAY IS THE DAY!

I know I have been insanely lucky.  My tomatoes haven't frozen yet but they will.  They will freeze and I'll be kicking myself a lot!  So Today I'll finally start bringing in plants.  My living space will change it's whole ambiance as it does every year at this time.  I start rearranging and moving the things that sit in sunny windows.  I always end up throwing some things out, nowhere near enough and deciding I don't need some plants to winter over.   It's kind of like kicking one of your kids out of the house.  Especially like that if you think they are going to freeze to death!  MMMM, maybe not such a good analogy?  

I've already been outside checking if they made it through one more night.  The temperature was 34 deg. F.  Two more degrees and my veggies would have been crunchy and then black.  I'm looking forward to a day of melancholy as I get my place ready for winter.  On the other hand, I rather enjoy the feeling of Mother Earthishness I get from harvesting the mini crops!  This year I have jalapenos, dill, sage, thyme, rosemary, chives, turnips, carrots, spinach, arugula, meslin mix, onions, peas, beans, hollyhocks, heliosomethings, columbines, wild roses, dianthus, primroses, cucumbers, mint, narcissus, and Gerber Daiseys.  Quite the haul for a garden about four by six hey?

2 comments:

Dan Kelly said...

So it's been a week now - did you get everything inside and situated? Is there any room for you and the pets? :)

LindaRizz said...

I left a few things out, taking a chance and the root veggies are still in the ground. I put mint up to dry, dill and thyme. Sage and rosemary next. Things are moving along, just not very fast!