Saturday, November 29, 2008

HOW NICE!

It is howling like a banshee outside, sucking the heat up the chimney.  I've got the damper solidly closed and it doesn't help a bit.  Still the air is slowly heating in the room.  The tea water will be hot soon and the smell of some spicy mixture will drift through the whole place.  

I recently did a cheap but effective change over from a screen door to a storm door by covering the backside with a multi-layered plastic sheet I made from a #.99 drop cloth and duct tape.  It cut down the draft in the house that the weather stripping just wasn't getting.  I don't know, a loose door frame perhaps?  Whatever the reason I'm pleased with the result.

The sun is starting to come up enough to change the landscape outside from dark and miserable to white, foggy and miserable.  What a good day to be inside!  I still have to throw and stack another quarter of a cord of wood but that is warming exercise.  It also smells good.  Then, I'll take some pictures or maybe even just start outside, painting watercolors on the porch.  I want to paint the white, grays, silvers, charcoals, blacks and tiny flashes of red and green that can be seen in the blowing snow.

When I've proven once again how limited my skills are compared to nature I'll go inside and make cookies.  I'll have to cook them down at the neighbor's as I still haven't gotten a new oven but he doesn't mind that as I split the results with him.  While I'm waiting for those cookies to cool I'll take my dog for a walk.  I like bundling up and walking in a snow storm through our local cemetery, another place where unexpected spots of color show up,

An afternoon of reading and music, watching a movie and fixing something good for dinner seems like a great idea to me.  The limited amount of groceries in my cabinet (I didn't get to go shopping before the car broke down) is a challenge.  Some of my best meals have come out of situations like this.  I'm looking forward to this one.

How nice not to have to drive on icy highways with the holiday crowds. This year there are probably fewer people but I haven't been close enough to the Highway to know.  It's part of my mini-vacation.  So far, life is good!



No comments: