Thursday, June 26, 2008

BREAKFAST IN A TREE

This morning I took off early with a thermos of hot tea and a bag of fresh fruit.  I wanted to have breakfast outside, something to clear my head from the abuses of last night's planning board meeting.  I wandered along until I saw a big tree fallen across the creek.  It only had a few branches to climb over before it was even enough to sit, dangle my feet above the creek and enjoy my meal.  While I was drinking tea and spacing out on the rushing waters I heard coyotes start yipping nearby.  There were only three or four of them but by the time they all joined in to the "round" singing going on, the whole valley was ringing with their yips and barks.  The coolness of the morning dew on the leaves of the tree I was in and the wind blowing up off the creek contrasted nicely with the warmth in the sun lit spots on my walk back.  I picked more kinikinick this morning and unbudded chamomile.  That's drying in bundles in the shade of my porch.  I can hardly wait for mushroom season to start!  I'll check out the early spots this weekend just in case.  I won't find anything but I'll sure enjoy the time spent looking.

 Tomorrow night I will start thinning my garden and have a salad topped with those tender little greens.  As I spend as much time as possible out of doors and hunting for food and wood this summer, I gain the added benefits of serenity (well, more than I usually possess!) and physical fitness.  This morning was just what I needed to stop me obsessing on the follies of mankind and start thinking about what I can do today that is productive.  That's a positive thing and that's what I'm searching for now in my life, positive and productive.  

No comments: