Tuesday, June 10, 2008

SPRING SETTLES IN


Roland and I went herb hunting Sunday.  We went into the woods to an area where meadows suddenly appear in the middle of thick forest.  Look at the light in these trees.  This is really the way it looked, not a trick of the camera.  I found St. John's Wort, wild strawberry leaves and kinickkinick.  The willd chamomile I found was at it's best, right before it flowers out!  Everything is moist and blooming.  The high country is at it's best right now, pleasantly warm, fresh, and growing.  I'm taking more from the forest than usual this year.  I think I'll be needing more medicines for people then in the past.  There is certainly less money for doctors in our area so I am building up the stores of herbs.   It is knowlege I am lucky to have in these times.  I can think of few things more relaxing or stimulating than harvesting wild foods and herbs.  It is a healing thing to do for my body and my soul.

3 comments:

Dan Kelly said...

From all that beautiful sun and gross to snow today? Sucks when that happens.

LindaRizz said...

One of the reasons our suicide rate is so high! I hear the weather isn't all that nice up your way either.

Dan Kelly said...

Rain for weeks and weeks now. It's usually close to 80 this time of year; yesterday it was in the low 60s.