Thursday, June 12, 2008

Stinky, Sticky, Happy


Roland goes with me almost everywhere I hike.  He even climbs rock.  His favorite thing to do is roll in dead things.  He found a big old dead thing this hike.  I think it was yet another "catch and release" fish or as I think of it, "kill and waste".  The people who come up here to use the fishing leases don't seem to have learned how to "release" the fish yet.  

When Roland got to it, there was a lot of decay going on.  Sort of a jelly like consistency that he threw himself into with all four feet.  He rolled in it so thoroughly that when I got him to a creek it didn't even start to relieve the smell.  In fact, since Roland won't swim, only gently lie in shallow water, the top of his back looked like a mohawk that had been glued into place.

He doesn't believe me when I tell him to go away or that I don't want to share in the smelly fish joy!  Nothing in the world matches the smell of dead fish, wet dog and hot sun, not even that hot dish they make in Minnesota.  Life as I once knew it has changed for the worse.  I have hung deodorizer trees from his collar but they ain't making a dent in the cloud of fetid fumes surrounding his joyous grin.  Please help me and don't tell me about the damn tomato juice thing.  You can't spray it well through a power washer and that's as close as I'm getting to him!

2 comments:

Dan Kelly said...

Ewww. I can smell it just by reading this. I know that awful smell.

LindaRizz said...

I've used vinegar and tomato juice on skunk but this is dripping, viscious, ooze and I don't want to touch it or him. He is unusually affectionate at this point in time of course!