Friday, June 20, 2008

Finding Peace



Peace is where you find it and I am lucky to have so many places that have that feeling for me.  I put my hands in dirt in the garden and my whole world gets better.  I feel comforted and comforting.  I am growing some of my own food and it makes me feel more in control of my daily life.  It makes me feel like I might survive an economic disaster here in America.

I have a porch that, while not fancy is the most soothing place for me and a troubled mnd.  Last night I watched the evening show of hummingbirds in the twilight.  Dozens of them swooped and fought in my yard and under the porch.  I have up three feeders and they were all buzy.  The dense green of the quakies in my garden and the evergreens backing them makes my head feel refreshed.

But most of all, I have the Colorado high country to drench me in the peace of natural beauty, awesome heights and the sight of running water.  I have fields for my dog to run in and places to hike or climb.  I have familiar spots where memories overcome me and I have to stop and remember, let the joy come back to me or pay homage to a friend long gone.  I have the excitement of finding a new place, a new spot to meditate sitting high on the side of a moutain, looking into the deep woods, breathing the sap scented air in meditation.  I can feel the sun on my face and watch the wildlife of the area.  I can lose myself in hunting herbs and mushrooms for hours in a life that few others participate in.  I come down from the hills, dirty and sunburned, covered with grass and bits of the forest, and dazed with having to come "back" from the mental vacation I've been on.  

Thanks to the powers that be for giving me this in my life  Thanks for the healing.

7 comments:

Dan Kelly said...

Linda, in that second picture, is that a glass fuse casing between the two pots on the porch rail?

LindaRizz said...

No, but I'm not sure what you're looking at. I'm just sure there isn't a glass fuse casing on the porch anywhere! LOL!

LindaRizz said...

Yes, I know what you're talking about. We call them insulator glass but it's the same thing. It took a second for me to catch on. Yeah, that one is almost purple indicating about 100 years of age.

Dan Kelly said...

Tim's got one of those lying around the house. Every time I see it, I ask what it is (because I forget) then ask him to get rid of it. Every time he huffs and tells me no. LOL

LindaRizz said...

And well he should! Sorry Dan but these are pieces of Americana, history that will never be repeated!

Dan Kelly said...

It's garbage that takes up space. The only kinda useless, non-functional shit I want lying about the house is me! I want my shit to have some purpose, or else it's landfill! He's also got some rusty old railroad lanterns that I wanna toss out.

LindaRizz said...

Oh God Dan, I feel like saying, "Hand the computer to Tim"! If you are THAT way, clean up the insulator and use it as a paperweight or put it upside down in a wire or macrame holder and use it as a planter or a sugar water holder fora humming birds.

Send me the railroad lantern! LMAO!