Thursday, December 4, 2008

BAD TIMES

So I'm going through some bad times right now.  Well, to be honest, pretty much constant since 1979!  My original personality was almost giddy in it's constant good nature.  It was something I had a reputation for as I kept smiling through things that were pretty terrible.

I have been called strong, gallant, fearless and spacey at various times but in the last three years I have lost much of my sense of humor and a ton of the store of happiness that seemed to never run out no matter what the situation.  My Father and I were discussing that the other day.  He told me no one can remained unchanged as they age unless they were either extremely fortunate or brain dead.  His theory is that every time you get screwed or go through the death of a loved one or have health issues, whatever, each thing takes some of that joy of life from a person.  

Maybe he's right.  Until a few years back I could be diverted back into happiness so easily I laughed out loud during the love of my life's funeral.  That may have been somewhat stress oriented but I could still so easily slip into the feelings of good times then.  The last year I didn't really decorate for the holidays much.  I love this time of year.  I crave the lights and music.  

I'm going to make an effort to divert myself back into happiness.  I'll probably end up in a mental institution as happy is not the way a person in my situation should be feeling.  Tomorrow the Christmas decorations go up in my house and I start cleaning.  Maybe the normal Holiday activities will brighten my mood!  I will make the effort to get to holiday gatherings.  I will allow myself enough heat in my home to get more than five feet away from the stove and start working on the Christmas baskets I'm sending to friends.  

Maybe I'll be able to get some joy back in my head!

3 comments:

Dan Kelly said...

Like I said - create a happy diversion, not to ignore the problems but to help you through them. Sometimes, it's the most you can do. Others, the least you can do.

Dan Kelly said...

Oops..."meh" is me, Dan. :)

LindaRizz said...

Dan, I guess it! Meh, what a username!