Tuesday, December 2, 2008

MY SON

Today, twenty-seven years ago, my son was born.  He was a miracle baby.  I'd been told I couldn't have children after two surgeries and three years of trying.  I got up one morning sick to my stomach and two weeks later was fighting with the doctor, "You told me I could never get pregnant, are you sure?"  Another couple of weeks of morning sickness and I was convinced.

Pregnancy wasn't easy as I had to keep working and the chances of carrying my child full term were slim.  I tried to be as healthy as I could but I had a non-working husband and someone had to pay the bills.  My Mom drove us to the hospital as our car heater wasn't working and it was a blizzard outside.  Just making the 50 miles to the hospital was an adventure.  Everything about that night remains burned into my brain, every smell, every emotion is still shiny and new when I think about it.

And you know, most of the next twenty-seven years have been full of that same joy.  My son has grown into adulthood as a loving caring responsible person who doesn't automatically feed into the bullshit around him.  He asks questions.  He thinks about things before he takes action and he enjoys his life.  I feel like I succeeded as a mother when I see him smile and know he is happy in his life.

This day what I wish for him is a lifetime full of happiness and creativity.  I wish him a lifetime full of love and joy.  I wish that where ever he goes or whatever he does, it is what he wants and that he finds fulfilment in it.  I love you my son. 

No comments: