Saturday, May 3, 2008

JIMI

So last night I light some candles, put out incense, turned down the lights and cranked up Hendrix.  The neighbors on both sides turned off whatever they were trying to listen to because the old lady has her some GOOD speakers!  Besides all the hippie accessories allowing me to take a mini-trip back into time, I actually listened to Electric Ladyland.  I mean, I kicked back and did nothing but listen to the genius of Jimi Hendrix.  Sometimes I forget how far ahead of his time he was.  I forget how much incredible guitar playing was in his music.  I forget how much experimental stuff he introduced to the world.

  I also thought about the fact that his death at only 27 was considered a fait accompli long before it really happened.  

The media, then as now, made pronouncements for the sake of selling their wares that often came true.  The race between Hendrix and Joplin to kill themselves was even noticed by Janis herself who when notified of his death said, "I guess he beat me to it."  Nothing like having a cheering section as you drink and drug yourself to death.   

The music brought back good memories and bad.  I remembered all the people I had known who died in the drug wars.  I remember all the laughter and love that came about from the communal living of the time;  And the rip-offs that also came from that.  There were good people and bad as in any mix but the feelings of hope are gone from my generation.  Our dreams have been beaten into the ground and strangled in so many ways.  Our wins have been hard fought and exhausting.  So many of the political activists I've know have back away from both politics and society sickened by dishonesty, graft, and greed.  
They are just too tired to fight anymore for anyone more than their own families and friends.  The American Dream has changed.  The boogeyman under the bed is here and he's President. 

I spent my evening with Jimi and came away from it renewed.  I remembered what we had done and changed and thought maybe there could be a few more things my generation can do before their Happy Trails end. 

1 comment:

Mama Bear said...

very insightful.

your journey continues, just on a different level. you keep on truckin' and the right ones will hear you.

love your new blog!