Monday, May 19, 2008

The West Mutter Dog Show



These are some pictures from our yearly dog show.  It's a benefit for the local animal shelter and is attended by hundreds of people and dogs, some cats and a few exotic pets!  Yesterday there were over 150 dogs and I saw not a fight.  Roland got up in some dogs face but for all the growling, not a bite!  I was upset when dogs put their noses up my butt also so I understood his attitude!  

The gentleman in the blue scrub shoes and tshirt shorts combo is our local animal control officer.  He is, depending on your relationship with him, treasured as a unique and giving soul or hated as a crabby old grouch.  Either way, people lined up all around a football field in order to dunk him in a tank of cold water.

I love the guy myself but it was a money making charity event.  I noticed a guy grinning as he watched the festivities.  I asked him if he was anygood with a baseball and he said he was.  I gave him a five dollar bill and told him to dunk my friend as often as he could with that.  He laughed and told me he would do it for free.  These are the ensuing shots!

The contests consisted of Lumpiest dog, Best Smile, Best Costume (that was killer) the obstacle course which included a hot dog tree that stymied many a contestant, relays, speed races and demos of obedience which many of our local dog owners watched with disbelief and their pets with horror.  My God, those dogs obeyed!  You may notice in one of these pictures Roland throwing a fit as his try for best behaved dog went down the tubes.

The whole thing is like a circus and clowns on stilts and people with bubble machines wandered everywhere.  There were dozens of plastic wading pools out and dogs laid in them or got drinks as they felt.  There was food, for the dogs, a doggie psychic, a masseuse who worked on both animals and people and an animal adoption going on.  All in all, a great day in the sun!




No comments: